Saturday, February 24, 2007

Spongebob does not quite cut it

OK, so I'm sitting here watching Spongebob Sqare Pants. While there have been many funny episodes of this show, and I do enjoy watching from time to time, it is no comparison to the old cartoons of yore. This Saturday morning is no different from every other Saturday morning when I find myself wishing for the cartoons of my childhood. I actually find myself on many Saturdays scrolling through the guide, just hoping that some channel somewhere will surprise me. Do you have any idea how much that would excite me?

Classics such as Looney Toons, Tom and Jerry, The Jetsons, Woody Woodpecker and the Pink Panther are completely gone from TV. The new Superhero's are terrible and totally not realistic! What happened to the Superheros we all new we could be...Spiderman and His Amazing Friends, Sheera, He Man, Superfriends, the Transformers (hello!!!)? What about our heroic animals, Thundercats? ShirtTales? DangerMouse? Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers? Even shows that were total marketing ploys didn't suck; shows like Care Bears, Donkey Kong and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Then there were those that existed for no good reason at all, but were totally awesome...The Biskitts, Gummy Bears, The Snorks, Captian Cavemaaaaaaan!!!

Here is a true test. A real question. I have spoken to many and very few seem to remember. How that is possible is beyond me... Way back when, when cable was just starting to get a bunch of channels, a new network called the USA Network began. I have no idea what they originally aired on this channel with one exception. USA CARTOON EXPRESS. It existed as a vehicle for mostly Hanna Barbarra Cartoons and was a good solid 3 hours of cartoon, after cartoon...after cartoon. Those I remember fondly are: JabberJaw, Magilla Gorilla, Dynomutt and Dog Wonder, Speedbuggy, Grape Ape, and the very very funniest and luckiest to catch as there weren't very many.....Wacky Races.

Alas, all this has made me sad, especially as my only choice of cartoon at the moment is Fairly OddParents. Which is one of the better ones. I can only credit two cartoons in recent memory that even come close to some of those mentioned above....drum roll....Dexter's Laboratory and Samuri Jack. As I continue in my quest for good cartoons, hopefully some other good ones will come along. But, for now I think I'm going to mastermind a way to create a Nick at Night for Cartoons. Wouldn't that be great?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I haven't failed to notice the lack of mention of Snorks, Wuzzles and the Smurfs.

I agree that cartoons aren't what they used to be. Its truly sad. But there were some really awful ones in our day including but not limited to Inspector Gadget and Mighty Mouse of Nickelodeon fame.

Amanda said...

(#*& you did say Snorks. I apologize.

Jeanine & Piper said...

What!!! Inspector Gadget and Mighty Mouse were awesome!!!