Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Invisa-mornings

Many of you are probably wondering what an "invisa-morning" is exactly. Basically, it is when you find yourself questioning whether or not you are a tangible entity taking up space in which people can actually see you taking up that particular space at any given moment. Things such as: a backpack to the face while you sit in your seat on the subway, or a strong mush into the railing as people rush up the stairs at the train station, the absence of an "excuse me" or "pardon me" in either case, make me question whether or not people actually see me standing there. These types of examples happen on lots of mornings, but sometimes people go the extra mile to disregard my presence on the planet, hence an "invisa-morning."
I must start this story by saying that I seriously considered not coming to work today. It was one of those mornings when you are in such perfect position upon waking that it takes every fiber of your being to get up. Ahhh pillows. If I didn't have my dog, Chloe, whining at me to go out, I'd still be in bed.
Anyways.... I'm in a general disgruntlement on my way to work, but I'm walking along, minding my business, grooving to Peaches and Herb in my Ipod (Shake your groove thing, shake your groove thing, yeah yeah!). When this person walks up along side of me with a huge stride, swinging their arms like they are trying to take flight, and WHAM!!! This persons flailing arm hits me in my sholder area (their arm was that high!) and knocks my bag off. Then...here's the best part... they keep walking. But, as they are walking past I see them shake their hand a bit, IN PAIN, because it actually hurt when they hit me. Do you think it dawned on that person to say excuse me??? or sorry???? NoooOOOOoo. I therefore, have come to the conclusion that they must not have seen me and thought that their hand hit a wall. I mean if you're the type of person who walks around like a giant beast with your arms flailing about, then these types of accidents must befall you all the time. They must know the difference between a person and a wall when they hit one.
So really an "invisa-morning" gives people the benefit of the doubt that they can't possibly be THAT RUDE. It must be that I am simply invisable some mornings.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That had me laughing out loud. Invisamornings also to persons commuting to work via car. I sometimes have to stop my trusty Corolla on the side of the road becuase I apparently have forgotten to take off the Invisibility Cloak it wears sometimes.

Sarah said...

That had me laughing out loud as well. I'm sure you have lots of trouble fighting the Salisbury traffic amanda. Sometimes I have invisamornings as i walk my trusty sidekick in the mornings and people do not return my hello and bubbas wag.