Friday, February 9, 2007

Cell phones make me talk funny

So, Calvin is currently on his way back from NYC on Amtrak. I called him because his train is due in to Philadelphia at 4:00 and I'm looking for an excuse to blow off work a early and go get a drink. This is how the conversation went:

Jeanine: "Hi, are you back yet?"
Calvin: "No."
Jeanine: "Are you still on the train?"
Calvin: "Yes."
Jeanine: [whispering]"Oh are you in one of those quiet cars where you can't talk on cell phones?"
Calvin: "Yes."
Jeanine: "OK then, call me when you get back"
Calvin: "OK Bye"

Please someone explain to me why I felt the need to lower my voice to ask Calvin that question? Do you think the person sitting next to him appreciated it?

1 comment:

Brian said...

it is like how everyone talks to a baby in 'baby voice.' i bet babys are pumped/shocked when they turn 4 or 5 and realize everyone doesnt talk like that all the time...