Tuesday, May 8, 2007

#1 Toy

Wow. 2 posts in one day. I actually had this in mind to write in my last post, but then I couldn't remember what it was, so I just published the first one. But, now I remember.

So. VH1 voted the Hula Hoop the #1 toy of all time. Rounding out the "Top 5" were Barbie, GI-Joe, Star Wars Action Figures, and Mr. Potato Head (did you know that when it was first invented they only sold the pieces and you had to use a real potato?). Well, I think that the hula hoop was fun and all, and I understand it's been around for a long time. But, I don't necessarily agree with it's #1 rating. I mean how long did you actually spend playing with your hula hoop? 15 minutes, maybe? If you were good, maybe 20? And this seems to be primarily a "girls toy." I don't remember many boys playing with them. There were other uses for a hula hoop, such as: jump rope, a way to wrastle up your friends and pull them along in the hoop and it also served me well as a base for a game of baseball or kickball. But, all of this still does not add up to make it #1 caliber.

My vote is for Playdoh. It's good for hours of fun, there's all types of things you can make, it has fun colors and a distinctive smell that reminds me of childhood. You could choose to be anal and keep all of the colors separate, or you could be adventurous and mix them all together. There was all kinds of cool equipment that went with it. You could make Playdoh spaghetti, or I had these plastic molding type things and could make various foods, such as a carrot or a hot dog. I also had ones that made awesome Strawberry Shortcake related shapes. Playdoh is great!!! Think back to when you were a kid and remember the joy you felt opening a brand new can of Playdoh. It doesn't get much better than that.

P.S. Colorforms and LightBrite, are my runner ups.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I agree that the hula hoop is a ridiculous choice for number one toy. Perhaps it received the honor becuase it has transcended many generations. That is perhaps its only impressive quality.

Jeanine your choices for top toys are fabulous ...color forms were an excellent way to spend the day and they are transportable to too - easy for fun-on-the-go.

I motion that pogoballs, the jump rope and Cabbage Patch dolls be considered for recognition.

Sit-n-spin anyone?